Information for Student/Reader Volunteers & Chaperones
Applications are now closed.
What to Know Before The Festival
The Festival of Trees Awards Ceremonies have sign carriers and student presenters for each of the authors/illustrators, as well as a person that carried a sign with their name.
If your reader has been selected to be a sign carrier or student presenter, the people in charge of the ceremonies will be in touch with you by April 22.
All presenters must submit their presentation via email at least one week before the Festival to ensure that we have an extra copy in the event that this student is unable to make it or has forgotten their copy.
Please fill out the Student Photo/Video Release Form and please ensure you bring it with you onsite (you do not need to send it ahead of time):
At The Festival
Here is some information that should help things run smoothly.
- Please ensure you leave enough time when travelling to your venue for the Festival. For 10 am ceremonies the sign carriers/presenters need to be on site prior to the start time to get organized. Prepare for delays in traffic and public transit.
- Your reader will be meeting at the “CHECK IN” Yellow sign.
- Waterloo Region – in the Zamboni area
- London – Back of the Agriplex building
- Toronto (English) – Behind the Concert stage
- Toronto (Français) – Behind the Concert stage
- Please ensure that EVERY sign carrier and student presenter hands in their permission form when they arrive to check in for their ceremonies.
WHERE TO GO
It is important that you arrive with your volunteer at least 30 minutes before the ceremony in which they will be participating, and that those who are speaking have prepared in advance and have their speech printed and with them. The sign carriers and presenters will be lined up with the authors/illustrators and given instructions by the people in charge back stage. They will proceed onto the stage with the author when the emcee calls out the author’s name. When all have taken their positions on stage (sign carrier behind the author’s chair), the emcee will introduce each presenter to come up and introduce the author. The sign carrier remains at the chair.
Each speech should be one minute long AND FULL OF ENERGY! The speech should be about the author’s (or illustrator’s) life and work, not a plot summary of the book. The presenter could mention his or her reaction to the book or to the author’s work in general (the genre, the style, etc).
After each author is introduced they will come up and speak for a maximum of 2 minutes about their reaction to the program.
Presenters and sign carriers remain on stage for the duration of the ceremony.
PRESENTERS GIVING THE AWARD
Presenters who are opening the envelopes will be given the envelopes to carry on stage and a script. One envelope contains the names of the books of the finalists. The second envelope contains the winning book that comes from the list of finalists. The winner receives their award and the finalists receive their certificates/citations in the envelopes.
- Waterloo Region – ceremony starts at 10 am (Kinsman Arena @ The Aud, Main Stage)
- London – ceremony starts at 10 am (Agriplex Building, Main Stage)
MAY 14 (ENGLISH)
- White Pine – ceremony starts at 10 am (Concert Stage)
- Red Maple Fiction – ceremony starts at 11:30 am (Concert Stage)
- Red Maple Non-Fiction – ceremony starts at 12:45 (Harboufront Centre Theatre)
- Blue Spruce – ceremony starts at 1 pm (Concert Stage)
MAY 15 (ENGLISH)
- Silver Birch Non-Fiction – ceremony starts at 10 am (Concert Stage)
- Silver Birch Fiction – ceremony starts at 11:30 am (Concert Stage)
- Silver Birch Express – ceremony starts at 1 pm (Concert Stage)
MAY 16 (FRANÇAIS)
- Le Prix Tamarac – ceremony starts at 10 am (Concert Stage)
- Le Prix Tamarac Express – ceremony starts at 11:30 am (Concert Stage)
- Le Prix Peuplier – ceremony starts at 1 pm (Concert Stage)
Each chaperone has been given the contact information of the person in charge of the student presenters/sign carriers from the individual committees. Prior to the Festival you should correspond with this person.
On the day of the event if you cannot reach them on their cell phone please contact MEREDITH TUTCHING, Director of the Forest of Reading, on her cell phone at 416-917-8355 and she will get the message to the Stage crew.